Monday 23 May 2011

Collections in context

One of the key skills I want to learn as part of this fellowship is how to understand a collection in context. Many curators come to their posts with little or no prior knowledge of the collections thye are expected to care and in some cases (as mine_ from an entirely differnt discipline. In these busy times how can curators find the time to research and get to know the collections they care for? I hope to develop the skills that enable me to increase my collections knowledge over the next few months. By breaking a collection into manageable chunks and integrating collections research into projects that are already ongoing (for example temporary exhibitions) I hope to grow in knowledge and perhaps more importantly confidence in my collections research skills which will enable me to continue learning more.

We are currently embarking on defining quite closely exactly which collections we will examine and what types of object, documents and photographs they contain. Simply looking at the objects as we investigate store rooms, the library and printed ephemera files stimulates conversation and enthusiasm. Working to describe and summarise these collections helps me to get a handle on what it is you are looking after, and why it is important. I have found that just getting objects out of storage whets the appetite for finding out more. It must be the archaeologist in me that wants to tell the story stored within the objects. I hope those attending our first collections session will feel the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment